Friday, September 19, 2014

Quick and Easy DIY Laundry Detergent

Last year (after coming across this post from Erin at Why Not Sew?), I decided I'd try making my own laundry detergent. I found that not only did it save me TONS of money, but it didn't take much time either! And my husband (a Tide loyalist) could find no reason to dislike it. Over the past year, I've made three or four batches of liquid detergent with about $6 of supplies. About a month ago, I ran out of detergent and needed to make more, but I was feeling lazy. So I headed back to Pinterest to see if there were was something that was quicker and less messy, which led me to Yellow Brick Home, where I discovered (as far as I'm concerned) the perfect do-it-yourself laundry suds!

Three ingredients in three minutes (or less). Here it goes. You ready?

1 cup Borax (found on the laundry aisle)
1 cup Washing Soda (found on the laundry aisle)
1 bar of soap (you can use Fels-Naptha or Ivory or any soap with a smell you're particularly fond of)

Grate the soap.
Pour in the washing soda and borax.
Mix and put in a jar.

You're ready to go! Add one tablespoon to each load of laundry. Add an extra for a load of whites to brighten them.

No comments:

Post a Comment