Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Free (or Cheap) Summer Activities with Kids

As the end of the school year is upon us, I'm working on putting together a list of things that the kids and I can do over the summer to make it fun, educational, and memorable. I'll continue to add to this list, but I'd love to hear your plans too!


GETTING OUT OF THE HOUSE

  • Public Library - I have to say that for a long time, I completely underestimated our public library. The past couple years the kids and I have really enjoyed visiting the library once every week or two for their weekly story times. Not only do they engage the kids with stories, but also music and craft time. They have different times for each age group so that your toddler isn't having to sit through an elementary age stories/activities, etc. In addition to these weekly activities, the library hosts several plays and other special events that are a blast. And FREE! 
  • Bowling - Check Kids Bowl Free to see if a local alley near  you offers free bowling for kids during the summer. I signed up last week, and this week there are coupons for two free games per kid for every day of the week! There's still shoe rentals, but at just a couple bucks each, you could easily enjoy a fun afternoon bowling for around $5-10.
  • Swimming - we are fortunate enough to have a neighborhood pool that I will be taking advantage of for much of the summer. It's free, it's a great way to cool off, and it totally wears my kids out!
  • The Park (and Sonic Happy Hour) - There comes a point here in Texas where going to the park (unless it's early in the morning) is just too hot to go to the park. But for now, my kids love going to the playground and running around like crazy for a while. If Happy Hour is near, we'll stop by and pick up a drink or slushy to keep us cool. Love those half priced drinks!
  • Movies - Most movie theaters offer free or $1 movies for kids and families on certain days of the week. Check out your local theater to see what deals they have going!
AT HOME
  • Reading - now that my kids are getting older, they're enjoying reading more. Start a series together and make it fun! Also, sign your kids up for summer reading programs in your area so they can earn free books. My kids loved this last summer. Check out this post on 2012 reading programs.
  • Imagination Box - I haven't done this with my kids yet, but right now I'm collecting completely random items in a shoe box to prepare for it (toilet paper rolls, ribbons, rubber bands, etc.). On days when the kids are saying "I'm bored!", I'll hand them the box and tell them to make/build/invent whatever they want with the items in the box. My eight year old daughter came across the box the other and said, "Ooooh, can I have this?!" I think it'll be a hit. Cost: FREE!
  • Quiet Time Boxes - I came across these on Pinterest and thought they were the greatest idea (for younger and older kids), and I wish I had come across them sooner! Create several boxes with small toys, notepads, stickers, blocks, etc. so that your child can entertain himself for a while each day.
  • Scavenger Hunt - I have not yet done this for my kids yet, but I remember my mom putting together scavenger hunts for my sister and I during the summer. She'd write up clues and hide them all over our back yard that ultimately led us to our "treasure". I have no recollection of what the treasure ever was, but we LOVED the adventure!
  • Cooking - Why not get in the kitchen and teach your kids how to cook. Let them plan the menu for dinner and help make it. Or bake cookies and then deliver them to neighbors, nursing homes, or dad's office!
  • Gardening - We started a garden this year, and I've been amazed how much my kids love it. They go out every morning to see what's growing.
What are your favorite affordable summer activities?

No comments:

Post a Comment